Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Op-Ed Boston and the human face of triumph borne from tragedy

April 15, 2013 is yet another date that is etched deeply in to my soul and it seems that my generation has had many of these already.

That day for me started with another night of no sleep as I have became accustomed to my nocturnal nature these days. That morning saw my beloved wife and I taking the next step in our struggle to conceive children as we underwent the next step of the in-vitro fertilization treatment.  With that process being done and returning safely home we went about our daily lives with our customary quiet dignity.

Yet when I awoke after finally convincing my body it needed sleep, my wife informed me of the events that occurred at the Boston marathon. My mind immediately pictured my beloved sister-in-law Thia and her lovely soon to be wife hurt or harmed by someone's desire to use violence to make a political statement. Gratefully I was informed that both of them were safe and well.

Yet I have spent the past few days mulling over what this event and its aftermath means to me. It has been this stream of conscious thought that prompts me to write about this tragedy.  Some have compared the shock of this bombing to the terrible day of Sept 11, 2001 and that is I believe an apt comparison for many reasons that I will discuss in depth. What followed that immediate tragedy is what makes my eyes tear up with humble pride at the resilience and strength of my fellow citizens of our great nation.

Within minutes and hours we began to hear news of the sheer capability of our nation to come together as one in the face of such things as terrorism upon our shores.  To paraphrase our President Barack Obama, "On days such as this we are not republicans, democrats, conservative, or liberal. We are Americans one and all."  I disagree with many of the policies and ideas of our sitting President yet I echo those same sentiments.

We are a free people and we all know deep within ourselves that that freedom demands a price of each and every one of us. We do not always get along and our disputes can be vitriolic and savage in their intensity of the give and take of the free market place of human thinking. Like any family we do have our dysfunctions and yet when something tragic strikes we line up to give selflessly to our fellows in a time of need. This strength is what makes my heart swell to bursting with pride and bow low with humility at the speed with which we act when the need is great.

No force upon this earth will ever deny our people the inalienable rights of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." We have fought amongst ourselves and even others outside our borders in defense of that ideal that epitomizes our central belief of both the divinity of humanity and that freedom of humanity is paramount above all else. As our country begins yet another search in the murky world of terrorism in its hunt for the perpetrators of the Boston marathon bombing, please read my words and take heart.

We are a free people whom will when it matters most put aside our differences and live up to the Latin phrase of "E Pluribus Unum" or translated "One out of many". Do not let your hearts be darkened by fear of the unknown faces that seek to remove our freedom to replace it with fear and terror. Instead celebrate that we will not ever bow to any such pressures. In those acts of human kindness and unity in the face of fear and terror find strength to resist those whom seek to harm our belief in the goodness of humanity and the unity found in our bonds of brotherhood.

We the people of the United States of American stand in defiance of those whom would use violence and terror to subjugate humanity in an endless darkness. Our people are united yet again because you fail to understand what freedom does to the human soul once its light shines brightly upon it. We WILL NOT give up nor will we GIVE IN to fear and terror. As we have so many times before we rise to your challenge and overcome it with poise and dignity.  So in closing to my fellow citizens whom directly suffered this terror, you are not alone for we stand united with you now and in perpetuity.


Jared Royka

No comments:

Post a Comment